Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Moving to Discord

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

Xorin

Advanced Member

• Marshal
  • 61 posts
  • Main Character:Xorin Ithildin
  • LocationLouisiana

As some of you may already be aware, over the past few weeks we've been playing around with a new VoIP program called Discord. We are pleased to announce that we are ready for this to be used by the guild at large, and will be migrating from Teamspeak to Discord. A quick dislaimer: Discord is still in alpha/beta, so there are some features you might be used to in TS that are currently missing, but there is a lot of active development on the program. If you run into difficulties, please let us know.

As for getting connected, below will be a basic guide for how to connect via the desktop application. The process is similar for the mobile app (which is free), and even easier if you just want to use the browser version, though the browser version has some restrictions (for example, push to talk only works when the browser is the active window). As such, I highly recommend getting an app in some form and using the browser when you're away.

Step one: Download the client of your choice here.

Step two: Register an account.

ab5UXkx.jpg

Step 3: Click "Join a Server"

4FCOs26.png

Step 4: Enter the Instant Invite Link for our server. This is: discord.gg/0QitR101jhdMMnRI

9RKjtY9.png

You'll land in the public channel and your screen will look something like this:

FK1C0gu.png

You can follow the quest !'s to see Discord's introduction to its features. Upon logging in the first time, you will only have access to the Public voice channel and the Announcement and Lobby text channels. Once an admin flags you as a member, you'll be able to fully utilize the features of our server. If you need to grab the attention of an admin, you can type @Xorin, @Alethia, @Douglas, or @Kasalla and a brief message in the Lobby channel to send one of us a notification.

If you have questions about how to do something, please ask. While Discord is nice, some of its features are a little hidden. You can get to all of your settings via the cog at the lower left (circled in the previous picture). To logout, you will go to your settings. There will be an arrow at the bottom left:

ZGzm2q7.png

Click that to get a pop-out box that says "Logout" and click that to actually log out.

Warning: By default, Discord is voice activated. You can setup Push to Talk via your Voice Settings.

Warning: By default, Discord runs at startup. If you want to disable that, go to the taskbar, right click on the Discord icon, and uncheck the "Run Discord when my computer starts" option.

Note: If you don't want to download the app, there is also a browser version. You can simply click on this link to use that instead. Do note that the browser version can be finicky with speakers and mics, depending on your browser permissions. It also doesn't support all of the features as the actual app.

We hope to see everyone on Discord soon!

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:47 AM

Xorin

Advanced Member

• Marshal
  • 61 posts
  • Main Character:Xorin Ithildin
  • LocationLouisiana

Other things to note. Your current text channel and voice channel are separate. You can freely swap between text channels to see the messages in that channel. There will be a small dot on the left of the text channel name if it has an unread message.

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

Xafron

Advanced Member

• Knight Warden
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Main Character:Avitus Shadowclaw
  • Location...Tyria?
Also for those who care you can use Discord through your browser. And your phone. I use the client, I don't like doing that kinda thing through the browser. The option is there, however.

vkkmOTL.jpg

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

Alethia

Advanced Member

• Guild Leader
  • 734 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Ok! So the browser version has some quirky issues which is why we are recommending using the client.  Depending on the browser you should get a message to be allowed to use your microphone.  Sometimes it won't pop up, so you can't talk.

Another issue that can come up is trying to get your microphone/headset and speakers playing nice with one another with TTS (text to speech).  There are settings in the clients under the cog icon for voice defaults, but windows has some too that can be problematic. TTS is turned on in the User Settings (cog), Notifications, TTS on the right hand side.  Choose which settings sound good to you, ultimately the channel you are in will probably be the best one if we are really active.

If you are using a headset and can talk to others fine, but the sound from TTS is coming out of your speakers, first of all shut out the client completely unplug and replug the headset and then start it up again. This can work, but the other culprit is your Windows sound settings. For me (8.1) this is under sound card settings then looking at playback.  Make sure that your default communication device is set to your headset.  You may need to restart all the things again to make this take effect properly.

While we are talking about this being a VOIP thing, it is really strong on the text side for on and offline messaging and messaging to mobile devices so you can start querying people about doing stuff before they even get in game.  It is possible to copy and paste straight into a text channel both text and images (this works with GW2 screenshots, just hit print screen then Ctrl+V in the client) and you can even send pictures straight from your phone or tablet camera.

It is really convenient for leaving messages, so I really hope you guys like it and give it a go.  Nothing like having conversations with people who can't sleep in the middle of the night while in bed!

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Theo

Advanced Member

• War Council
  • 199 posts
  • Main Character:Theo of Tyria
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Was trying to figure out all the things, but as it's a beta, there is no easy accessibilty features, so it'll be slow going for me to figure this out.. A little frustrated. Will try to figure it all out when I'm a little more patient.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king!
IGN: Theo of Tyria

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:39 PM

scottzilla

Advanced Member

• War Council
  • 112 posts
  • Main Character:uber fail monkey

Theo, If Bernie Sanders was president, that would not happen.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

Theo

Advanced Member

• War Council
  • 199 posts
  • Main Character:Theo of Tyria
  • LocationHouston, Texas

True dat, Scottie!

I got it mostly figured out thanks to the trusty magnifying glass I keep next to my desk and a lot of patience. Only thing I can't do is get the program to recognize my headset as a playback device when it is not set as the default device for the system.  The sound of Connor clicking his keyboard was making the walls shake slightly in my house as it was thundering through my sub-woofer. Good times.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king!
IGN: Theo of Tyria

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

Alethia

Advanced Member

• Guild Leader
  • 734 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Sorry to hear you are having some issues Theo, once it gets up and running properly I think the built in text to speech will help our a fair bit.

Check your sound settings the your headset is the default communications device in Windows.  That is usually the main problem I have found.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:38 PM

Nicole Narcissist

Advanced Member

• Knight
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Main Character:Nicole Narcissist
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Hey,

What prompted this move to Discord so quick as it is Beta?  Were there problems with Teamspeak and will we not be using it anymore?

I went to get Discord and my security stopped it and said that it was too new and too few users and more info was needed and asked me whether or not I wanted to trust it.  

So I figure at the moment to wait a little longer with all the ID thefts and all and how TS was working fine for me and this is a very little used and new thing.  Also reading these forums and how many problems people are having just getting it running makes me want to not be in a real hurry yet.

Maybe I'll switch over soon once I want to do all that work and trouble it seems people are having.

Thanks

Rok

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Rok

Advanced Member

• Marshal
  • 741 posts
  • Main Character:Rok of Faith
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Yes, the Guild is moving to Discord. Quite simply it is a superior product. The text  portion is unrivaled in similar programs,IMHO.

As to problems, no more than one encountered when first going to TeamSpeak.

See Alethia's post above for info on issues with TTS and Speakers/Headphones. If It's a problem for you, turn TTS off. (TTS reads received text messages aloud).

I personally have had no problem with Discord and found it easy use. Different yes, difficult, no.

"I was young and foolish then; now I am old and foolisher."
-- Mark Twain

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

Alethia

Advanced Member

• Guild Leader
  • 734 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Hey,

What prompted this move to Discord so quick as it is Beta?  Were there problems with Teamspeak and will we not be using it anymore?

I went to get Discord and my security stopped it and said that it was too new and too few users and more info was needed and asked me whether or not I wanted to trust it.  

So I figure at the moment to wait a little longer with all the ID thefts and all and how TS was working fine for me and this is a very little used and new thing.  Also reading these forums and how many problems people are having just getting it running makes me want to not be in a real hurry yet.

Maybe I'll switch over soon once I want to do all that work and trouble it seems people are having.

Thanks

As Rok said, moving over quickly is primarily because a bunch of us were testing it out and simply after about a week none of us really wanted to leave it because it is that much better.  There are still some things being worked on as features, but on the whole it is far more convenient than TS and has a lot of features we love.

I haven't had anything flagged for security on Discord at all.  Every scan I have done (including the mobile version) has been happy with it.

If you do want to join in and not download at this point though, you can log in without an account through your browser.  You won't have permanent permissions and voice can be a bit iffy (depends on your browser).  So no personal info shared, no download, just connect.  Xorin posted it earlier, but to repeat the link it is here: http://discord.gg/0QitR101jhdMMnRI
You may get a popup or a notification in your browser that it is asking you to share your microphone so you can speak.  I think you will be on force push to talk.  You may need to run GW2 in Window/Windowed full screen so the small popup window can go on top of the game to allow you to talk.  So feel free to check it out that way if it feels safer for you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users