Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Discord Bot

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Xorin

Advanced Member

• Marshal
  • 61 posts
  • Main Character:Xorin Ithildin
  • LocationLouisiana

Greetings, everyone! I wanted to take a moment to make a post detailing some things that you may or may not be familiar with.

First, hopefully you're familiar with Discord by now. We're using it as our primary VOIP service, but it's rapidly becoming a multipurpose tool. If you aren't familiar with it, you can see my other post with details about how to get Discord up and running. What you may not be as familiar with is our resident chat bot, Xantha, so I thought I'd take a moment to explain a few of her more useful features.

Those of you who have joined Discord in the past couple months have seen one of the more useful features from an administrative standpoint: she will send a welcome message to any new member and will also notify the server administrators that someone needs permissions. So, if you see someone new join the server, you can assure them that someone will be taking care of them as soon as possible.

Xantha also has a feature for creating and notifying groups. You can see a list of current groups by typing (without quotes): "!group-list" in any Discord channel you see the bot in, or by sending Xantha a direct message. If a group is open, you can type "!group-enroll <group name>" (without <>) to add your name to the list of people in the group. What this does is allow someone to use the command "!group-call <group name>" to produce a list of mentions for everyone in that group. Currently we have groups related to raiding and fractals, but if there is a group that you think would be useful, let a member of Leadership know, and if they agree that it would be a useful group, they can make it for you.

If you intend to go away for an extended period of time, you can still let us know via forum post, but you can also use Xantha to let us know if you're going away and when you get back. The command "!away-set <GW2 account name>; <expected duration in days>" will log the fact that you are going away, the current date, and when you expect to be back. Don't stress about exceeding your expected duration by a little; we understand that things happen and sometimes you can't plan things down to a day. This just lets use know about when we should be expecting to see you around again, and also lets us follow up if you're gone much longer than anticipated. Once you're back, you can use the command "!away-return" to remove yourself from the list of away members.

Those are two of the primary uses of the bot right now, but we're adding new features all the time. We also have a polling/survey feature (that will have a few changes made soon so you can change your vote) that we use from time to time to quickly gather input, so keep an eye out for those. You can also check prices of items, search the GW2 wiki, and more through Xantha. You can always find a complete list of available commands and features by entering "!help". If you aren't sure what the proper syntax for a particular command is, you can use "!help <!command>" (note that the leading ! is necessary when getting help with a command, type it as it appears on the !help list).

If you have requests for bot features, feel free to drop me a message (preferably via Discord, but in game or on the forum is fine as well). If you are interested in helping with the bot's development, you can see the python code it's built on here. I also owe a big shout out to Ark for helping me get Xantha up and running and for dealing with my coding questions.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users